Monday, March 2, 2009

First Day of School- Tan

It's 2 a.m. and I just can't sleep it's a combination of the time difference and nervousness (Daniel has the time difference down and is sleeping like a baby). I pass the time by watching movies and t.v. on Graboid which is like netflix on the internet. At 7 am, the alarm goes off and we start to get ready for the day...this experience feels like being 12 all over again on the first day of school. At 8am Michelle my co teacher from Pangok elementary picked us up and drove us to our schools. First, we dropped Daniel off to school it’s a bittersweet feeling because this is the first time in 3 years we will not be working together. Michelle then drives me to Pangok Elementary we are greeted by hundreds of laughing children who are excited to back on the first day of school and have a new English teacher.
Michelle introduced me to the principal and vice principal. The principal doesn't speak any English so Michelle translated the conversation for me...he asked me basic questions like what's my name?, what's my major?, and where I'm from? I met the vice principal who speaks a little English and is always cracking jokes. Michelle taught me how to greet the school administration and my colleagues. I have to do a slight head bow it's saying hello while showing respect and if I am sitting down when the principal or vice principal enters the room I have to stand up until they leave the room.
I also have another co teacher named Myang I will be working with her for the first semester teaching 3rd and 5th grade. She is really sweet and eager to learn more English. This year is the first year at Pangok with an ESL program along with my co teachers we will be setting up the program. Myang gave me all my teaching materials and showed me how to create a lesson plan I’m not sure how we will divide the teaching duties but that will come with time. The 3rd graders are at the beginning stages of learning English a lot of the work will be listening, repeating, and reading. As for the 5th graders they will be listening, repeating, reading, and writing. My official teaching debut will start next week for now I’m watching Myang.
Sidenote: The Korean girls can’t get enough of Daniel they think he is so cute. One girl asked him if he is a movie star and another one was sad to hear he is married. As for the school girls they are always waving at him and giggling…lol..I picked a winner ;)

No comments: