Thursday, March 5, 2009

Try finding this 병원...Our Hospital Trip


As for our trip to the Hospital we were given directions to go into the city by ourselves, and to pick up our results from our physical. Well one would think it wouldn't be too hard to go back to a place we were before. However, we were driven there the first time, and this time we were taking public transportation, by ourselves.
We were told to meet each other at a common area between both of our schools. We had not talked to one another about it we just knew we had to find one another. The map I was given was clearly incorrect because I was waiting on a corner across from the station where I was told I would find an E-Mart, for twenty minutes. There was a chill in the air and I knew it was the wrong place, but knew if I would start walking around that Latanya would come by and I would miss her. So without a cell phone or any other communication other than my voice, I stood there patiently. I was practicing my Korean by repeating the name of the station over and over aloud (this would turn out to be helpful later). So after my waiting for twenty minutes I see Latanya in her purple coat waving at me across the street.
We meet up and she shows me where she was waiting in front of the E-Mart which just so happens to be a block away from where my poorly drawn map had shown. She had instructions for our journey to the hospital. We hopped into a cab and showed the driver the station that was written down on Lt's paper. He dropped us off at Donong station where we were to get on the subway.
It was our next situation when I thought a conversation Lt and I had once. Latanya once asked me if I would choose her to be my partner on the Amazing Race. It was for the this situation following that I would most certainly not have her as a partner. We walked into the station and approached the foreign contraption Koreans call a ticket machine. We started to push buttons for English and we thought we were in business. Not so fast. In order to purchase a ticket we found out that you need to know where you will be getting off. That would be easy if the stations were in English not Korean as they were. Well we tried to match the symbols up but had no luck. We also could not figure out how to do round trip which it shows a button for but doesn't work. After five minutes of frustration Latanya throws her hands up and says I don't know. She continues to be flustered and me also confused and frustrated say I don't know either. We look at each other hoping the other had a great idea to get us out of our jam and nothing happens. As if we thought the tickets would magically come flying out of the machine or something. After another few minutes go by and more buttons are frustratingly pushed a nice old man came up to us and tried to help us but he himself was unable to figure it out. And then a teenager in a Detroit Tigers hat helped us. We showed him our destination on the paper and he pushed a bunch of buttons and then we inserted the money and the tickets came out. We were very grateful and relieved because we were on a time schedule which just put more pressure on us because this trip was only supposed to be an hour to and from. We were already pushing thirty minutes and we haven't even got on the subway yet.
Finally on the subway, once we discussed and figured out which platform to get on, we waited for ten minutes for the next train. We got on and we only needed to go two stops. The Korean subway was very clean and the ride really smooth. We got off and Latanya told me the next instructions which were to exit Gate 2 and find the main street. It was then when I repeated, find the main street. What in the hell is that suppose to mean. One: what qualifies as a main street? Two: what do we do when find the main street, left, right, straight??? And Three: Was the hospital even on the main street? We had no street name no address and no real direction. So we started off using our intuition and my good sense of bearings. It lead us to a street, but not nearly main enough, which lead us to a hospital. Lt was convinced it was the one we were at before. I was not. At closer glance it was not. We then asked a nice old lady where the hospital was and pointed to writing on the paper. She gestured, from what I translated to, go up this big ass hill and keep going until you hit the "Main Street" and make a left. Lol.
So we continued to hike, and hike. We finally found a large street which was "Main Street" eligible. We made a left and found the hospital. We went in side, showed them our paper and received our results. We both thought they could have very easily mailed us these stupid little papers to our schools. But whatever we got there with five minutes to spare before closing, and an hour and fifteen minutes into our hour trip.
We went back out on to the "Main Street" and hike down to the station. We bought our tickets with no help and with ease this time. We waited another ten minutes and got on our train and headed back to Donong station. We got off and looked at our paper to realize it did not have the return destination written down. AHHHHHH! So we confirmed Latanya's co-teacher does not give good directions. So we were panicking as we walked to the taxi line. And then I remembered the train station that I was repeating aloud earlier on the corner. So we approached the cabbie and I said in my best Korean accent, PyeongnaeHopyeong Station?? And he.........nodded yes and we were so relieved. We hopped in and made our way back to the E-Mart and then walked to Latanya's school where we met Michelle. After two hours of a one hour trip we finally made it. It was then she drove us to our apartment. Wow what a trip? So that the latest everyone.
Dan

1 comment:

holls said...

oh my gosh guys! This is soo funny! I can just so picture all of the hullabaloo! So no Amazing Race in the near future for you two..haha!