Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Korean Food


I am one of the world's pickiest eaters besides my wonderful sister. I have tried some stuff in last two days that wouldn't even take a second glance at. Yesterday for lunch my principal, vice principal, two school administrators, and co teachers took me to lunch at a traditional Korean restaurant in Namyangju. We took our shoes off and sat Indian style at this long wooden table. The waitress brought out several little bowls of food it reminded me of buffet style dining. I was really scared looking at all the foreign food I bet I had this look on my face like what did I get myself into. Everyone kept suggesting I try something and I felt pressured to try everything...so I put on my best Karen Layne impression and said a little prayer: please God don't let me embarrass myself in front of my co workers and please...please let this food taste good. I did use a fork because my chopstick skills aren't the best. I loved everything I ate but don't ask me what I ordered cause I have no idea. My co workers were really pleased that I tried everything and thanked me for being so open to their culture.
Pangok elementary doesn't have a cafeteria on the basement floor there is a huge kitchen where the students parents and a chef cooks traditional Korea food everyday and delivers it to the students classroom. The staff has a teacher’s lounge where the teachers gather to eat. Today, my co teachers kept offering me food and the pressure was on. I'm 2-0 with Korean food it is so delicious I wish I could remember what I had (tomorrow I will take a notebook so I can write down what I eat). I used chopsticks and it wasn't bad at all. After lunch, a few science teachers got together with the ESL teachers for coffee and tea (at school the drinks aren't served with food). Korean coffee (yummy) this particular type is instant it comes in a long, medium, individual sized packet all you do is add hot water. The teachers kept asking me questions about my husband in my head I was thinking are they in love with him too but they haven't met him...lol

Tan

No comments: