Monday, March 9, 2009

Taking over Pangok Elementary

Pangok domination!!! Today Michelle brought it to my attention that employees regular teaching hours are 22 hours a week and I am working 21 hours. She asked me if I had any ideas of how to make up that hour I didn't because there are so many rules on teaching in Korea that I didn't even want to guess. She suggested I teach English to the teachers at the school to make up the extra hour(I think it was her plan all along). The teachers at my school probably speak English well but they are afraid to speak to a native speaker. From what I have read Koreans strive to be perfect at everything they do and if they are not perfect at something they are scared to try. I think Wednesday will be my first day teaching the focus of my class will be everyday English: basic introductions (Hi!, How are you?), talking on the phone, talking to friends, going to a restaurant, shopping, etc. Michelle also gave me the option of working overtime by creating an after school ESL program for the students. I love planning things so this will be right up my alley. I would be working an extra four hours a week from 3:00- 5:00 but I'm at school until 4:40 anyway so I might as well do something and get paid for it. The after school programs won't start until April so I will keep you posted. What I have learned so far is Native Speaker + Korea= $$$$$

Tan

1 comment:

Dan and Tan said...

I am leaving a comment.