Monday, March 23, 2009

Yellow Dust

On my way to work I notice everyone is walking around Namyangju with these white surgical masks around their noses and mouths. My co teacher Michelle says Latanya you need to get a mask cause yellow dust is here and it's really bad for your health. I look out the window expecting to see yellow dust flowing in the wind, the sky just looks like the Santa Ana winds have picked up but nothing out of the ordinary. So I go home and wikipedia yellow dust now I'm convinced that everything I touch has yellow dust on it. Yellow dust is a dust originates in the deserts of Mongolia and northern China and Kazakhstan where high-speed surface winds and intense dust storms kick up dense clouds of fine, dry soil particles. These clouds are then carried eastward by prevailing winds and pass over China, North and South Korea, and Japan, as well as parts of the Russian Far East. Sometimes, the airborne particulates in significant concentrations which affect air quality. So I drag Daniel to Emart to buy some masks as soon as we leave the store I put on my white surgical mask and I am being so dramatic because wikipedia convinced me that yellow dust is going to kill us. and how I can't breathe because I inhaled the yellow dust...lol. He just looks at me like I'm crazy but I keep going on because I'm a yellow dust expert.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Dust

No comments: