Saturday, June 27, 2009

Latanya gets her hair did..done..whatever







Dan and I have been hanging out with this couple named Tania and Stephan. They are so much fun and know were all the American food in Korea is. They have been living in Korea for about a year and 3 months Tania is originally from California and Stephan is from Michigan. We met them at a friends birthday party in our area and have been pretty much inseparable for the past month. At the party, I gravitated towards Tania and we spent like an hour talking about our naturally curly hair and how to style it for the summer. On the other end of the room Daniel was talking to Stephan I assume about sports. It is such a relief to meet another couple because Dan n Tan were basically the only couple among our friends. Anyway, the day after the party Tania and I did an English workshop together, the following week we did a teaching orientation Tania was my roommate and lesson planning teammate, then the following week we went on a temple style together. So this weekend, Tania invited me to get my hair done with her in Itaewon (a foreigner area in Seoul) at Family hair shop. I was really skeptical about getting my hair done in Korea because I had no idea what to expect but a lot of foreigners go there so I figured they must be doing something right. I arrived at the salon at around 3:20 Tania and Stephan were waiting for us. As soon as Stephan saw me he was like time to go so Daniel and him took off. Tania was getting a relaxer and I got a deep conditioner, flat iron, and trim. The salon was packed it took about 45 minutes just for my hair to be washed. Latisha a beautiful African woman took my hair out of the hair tie and all she could say was "Oh my god, you have so much hair" she shampooed and conditioned my hair which felt amazing it has been 4 months since someone else has washed my hair. She left the deep conditioner in my hair and put this hot box over my head and I waited and waited for what felt like hours but was quite entertained by the Glamour, Essence, Shape, and black hair magazines. The salon reminded me of being at Cheyenne for 5 hours on a Saturday. Finally a Korean lady washed my hair out and combed it out with this tiny comb I sat there thinking how is going to come through my hair with that comb but she did it with minimal pain. She tried to blow dry my hair but it was so thick she passed me on to another Korean lady who blow dried my hair so straight that it was unbelievable. Now for the true test the flat iron, I guess they don't use pressing combs in Korea, they have the hot stove and the flat iron which was great since it took half the time. This lady worked magic on my hair in 30 minutes with a flat iron I was in utter and complete shock and my hair looked so healthy and straight. I am definitely going back. After the hair salon we met up with the guys and had dinner at a Thai restaurant the food was so delicious, to top dinner off we went to Baskin Robbins for ice cream, and then parted ways.

1 comment:

Viajera said...

It DOES look great! Flat iron=friend, eh? :)