Monday, June 15, 2009

New Co-Workers (Dan)

So two weeks ago my school had officially welcomed two new foreign teachers at my school. I knew we were hiring two new teachers soon so this was obviously no surprise. My school also hired another Korean English teacher as well. I was actually apart of the interview process, I felt really official. You can believe I will definitely put that on my resume. Anyways, the new teachers are so nice. They are a couple from England. They are around the same age as LT and I. Their names are Lydia and Ben. They love to travel and we all hit it off really well. We went out for dinner on Saturday with and had a great time. We had great food at our favorite restaurant and then hit up a local Fish N Grill place that serves primo soju cocktails. After that we headed to the Noribang or Karaoke room for some awesome lyrical amazingnous, I know not a word, but you get the point. We did not get to the Noribang until after 1:30am or so. After three hours of wailing we were hoarse. It was a grand ole time. Anyways about why my school hired more teachers. We are opening up an after school English center. It consist of brand new construction of a huge multi-purpose room, kitchen, dance studio and broadcasting room. It is still being constructed, but is almost finished. This new program will be attracking children from the entire area and will be on high demand. I was asked to pick up more teaching hours when we open fully for the second semester. I said as long as I get overtime, heck ya! Why not? I am at school anyways doing nothing, might as well earn some extra cash in the meantime. So you can see why we need these extra teachers. Everything else with school has been going well. My after school class I teach is finally getting better for me. I teach it by myself, so I found it hard to control the kids without my Korean co-teacher. But yesterday I laid down the law, or the law was being laid. It was fun to actually teach and the students listen. I told them they had to speak English only as long as they were in my class. I let them go all out in Korean for two minutes and then no more. It was quite funny. I am sure they were saying some really bad things to me in Korean, but I just laughed. That's it for now.

No comments: