Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Faculty Trip

So a couple of weeks ago my school had a faculty trip for 2 days and 1 night. On a Friday afternoon we all piled on to a chartered bus and made our way to Gangwa-do, which is an island off the West coast of Korea. As soon as the trip began, we were all given snack packs, just like mom used to make. It was full with all sorts of munchies and what not; chips, crackers, cookies, peanuts, and of course dry squid. Then we were all given a beer and were ready to party.
The bus ride took a few hours. We stopped at a museum of Gangwa-do. It was nice but seemed a little bias in it's historical references. The museum only seemed to mention a small victory over the French and a battle with the United States. Clearly they forgot to mention it being taken over, time and time again by the Chinese, Mongols and the Japanese. Oh, well I guess they did not want to bring up old stuff, right.
After some more driving and a ferry ride to the island we found ourselves at a restaurant for dinner. We had sushimi and more booze of course. I ate Sea Squirt. I have no idea what it actually is, maybe sea urchin like, it tasted horrible. It tasted literally like I was eating sea water in a chewy form, certainly not pleasant.
At this point in the night everyone was feeling good, especially my principal. Normally the principal will tell me that I am handsome, but that night he used the word gorgeous, all while his hand was placed on my knee. It was really funny.
After dinner we all got back on the bus. For some that was a more difficult task than one would think. My co-worker Ben had to fling one of the teachers, Mr. Han over his shoulder and onto the bus. It was like he was caring a sack of potatoes. We ended up babysitting Mr. Han for a good portion of the night. I told Mr. Han that I spoke German, so he decided to speak to me in mix of Korean, German and English, also known as Kordeutish. I could not understand a word he was saying.
Once on the bus we turned off all the lights and put on the strobe light and lasers. Then the Noraebong (Karaoke) started. That's right on the bus. The bus had a microphone hooked up and a cable that ran the length of the bus, and there was a huge flat screen at the front with the lyrics. Let's just say, party time. There was this Korean song called Champion. The music was, mind you this is no joke, was the theme song to Beverly Hills Cop. Do do do dododododo do do do dodododo do do do do. Wow!!!! I could not stop laughing, as well as singing.
We finally arrived at our lodgings. There was a BBQ area all set up. We continued the celebrations and ate some more and drank some more. Everyone was still having a grand ole time. People slowly started to retire to bed. Ben and I were still going though. We ended up in the principals room and watched a few of them play Go Stop. Go Stop is a Korean card game. We were watching for at least a half hour. I swear there is absolutely no logic to the game. My head was hurting trying to figure it out. After some Uno we all went to bed.
The next morning we woke up at 6:30am. We went for breakfast. We had a spicy crab soup. It was very good. After our meal we trekked up a giant hill to see a local Buddhist temple. It was really awesome. We looked around for awhile and then headed back down the hill. We all got back on the bus and headed for home.
It was a great trip. It was nice to bound with my co-workers. I like being able to see everyone outside of the workplace. Everyone was relaxed and just enjoyed themselves.
I posted all my pics up on facebook if you have not seen them yet.

Dan

No comments: